Safety- Plant Nurse
Pay Status: Exempt
The mission of Gemstone Foods, LLC, and affiliates (“Company” or “Gemstone Foods”) is to provide the value-added food service and wholesale poultry market with products that exceed our customers’ expectations. Using the collective poultry experience of our management, we are dedicated to earning the trust of our customers by adhering to strenuous federal and local food and worker safety standards. We also strive to become a premier employer in the community, enriching the local families of our workers, owners, and business partners.
The Nurse for Gemstone Foods, Decatur, AL plant is responsible for providing primary and emergency care for occupational and non-occupational injuries and illnesses.
General Responsibilities & Duties
• Review post offer medical history information with employee, assess any concerns, and make recommendations for referral or restrictions deemed appropriate.
• Perform medical care for work-related and non-work-related injuries or illnesses.
• Conducting required screening tests such as drug and alcohol testing.
• Maintaining OSHA state and employee health records.
• Work closely with the EHS Manager.
• Adhering to the highest standard of confidentiality.
• Participate in plant safety and ergonomic programs.
• Advise, coach, and educate employees on preventative health and wellness.
• Identify and assist with workers compensation cases that may include frequent communication with the company workers compensation carrier.
• Assisting with maintenance and documentation of workers compensation files.
• Conduct new hire orientation related to safety/medical.
• Performing other duties as assigned.
• Completion of an accredited nursing program required.
• Current/active unrestricted state license as a Registered Nurse preferred.
• 1 plus years’ experience in the performance of nursing skills relative to occupational health nursing or relevant nursing field preferred.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Basic computer skills.
• Strong problem solving and organizational skills.
• Must be detail oriented
• Must be able to use your hands to handle, control, and feel objects, tools, and controls.
• Must be able to bend and twist your body.
• Must be able to stretch vertically and horizontally.
• Must be able to kneel, stoop, crouch, and crawl.
• Must be able to lift 50+ pounds.